Tarot Talks: Choosing a Deck

A conversation happened recently where a good friend was asking about the concept of how tarot decks have to be given to you, that you shouldn't buy one for yourself. He threw out his deck based on this information he was told. While this old wives tale has a mysterious allure to it, almost a romanticism that somehow makes a deck more special, it is still just an old wives tale. There is an adage to "the deck must be given" and it's "or stolen." I don't know about anyone else, but I'm not becoming a thief to acquire a deck, not in today's day and age when they are so readily available!

Our fore-mothers, the old wives that made up all these tales, I do not wish to discredit them. There are still nuggets of truths that are valid today, though some things just no longer hold truth, and we need to use discernment in the now-moment.

I have been given decks that I absolutely adore. My first deck, Rider-Waite-Smith, was given to me. I did my best to use and connect with it. However, I didn't really connect with it. I struggled with reading from it. I had it for a few years before I decided that I want a new deck. I was also gifted Mythic Tarot within this time, and it was without a book, I was lost with this deck and rarely ever touched it.

One day I found the Essential Tarot, a deck by Hansen-Roberts, and bought it on the spot from a local bookstore. I LOVED the artistry on the cards. Beautiful work. It is based on the RWS system, so I was familiar with it, but these pictures *popped* for me. I also enjoyed the accompanying little white book that came with it.  I used these cards with great success for the next decade.

I have since moved on from using the Hansen-Roberts deck. I picked up the RWS deck again and use it with much more success than I ever have. I have over two dozen decks now, half given and half I purchased by myself for myself. The ones I tend to connect with the best are ones I have been able to pick myself. This isn't a truth across the board. I have picked decks that have ended up being a flop. I have also been given decks that have worked fabulously.
My point here: you do not have to be given a deck - or steal a deck - in order for it to "work" or for it to be "real."
The skill to read comes from the reader, not from the cards. The cards are merely a tool to unlock your intuition. In this day and age with all the different artistry, and even pop-culture based decks, I would say choose a deck you feel you will connect with. It will be much easier to learn from if you enjoy the tools you are using.



Brightest Blessings,
Phoenix Rose
-
Connect on social media:
FB - www.facebook.com/phoenixrosereadings
Twitter - @PhoenixRoseCM
IG - echoside_phoenix_rose
Pinterest - phoenixrosecm
-
Shop - EchoSideCreations.etsy.com
Blog - EchoSidePhoenix.blogspot.ca

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oracle: Deck Interviews - The Wild Unknown Animal Spirit Deck

Animal Totems: Purple Long Tentacle Anemone